Monday, June 17, 2013

Panic time (TT column 09.06.13)


I have always been guilty being a last minute type of girl, whether it was revising for exams, writing to meet deadlines or leaving my house to reach somewhere. In the past this system has worked for me, unfortunately I am not so sure it carries over to cycle training. After having four days out of the country I missed valuable preparation time for my big cycle ride. My whole cycling affair has been last minute but this time not out of choice as I only signed up to cycle from John O'Groates to Landsend at the end of April. I had promised myself to do at least one ride taking me into the triple digits and possibly even a ride from Bath to home, worryingly neither happened. On returning from Russia I crammed in two decent rides which probably only succeeded in making me feel slightly reassured mentally but with no effect physically at this late stage. Luckily however it did show up a mechanical problem that resulted in my back wheel being rebuilt before sending my bike on its journey to the north of Scotland where I joined it on Friday.

All preparation or lack of it has now been forgotten, the challenge has begun. I am currently working my way down through Scotland where we have been spoilt with the most magnificent weather and stunning views. The combination of a breathtaking route combined with such varied yet entertaining company has so far distracted me from the incredible discomfort that comes from sitting on a small hard pointed road bike saddle for a hundred odd miles every day. I will be passing through Devon on Saturday and would appreciate any other distractions so please feel free to check out the route and give me a wave whilst I grind my way up our wonderful hills.

   http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/live-event-page/?utm_source=DELOITTE+RAB+RIDERS&utm_campaign=d5ee55f64f-REV_Reg_Interests_Shard_promo2_13_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c03f1e9707-d5ee55f64f-348924601

No comments:

Post a Comment