Saturday, April 5, 2014

Shaking off the monkey

The monkey has been shaken off their back at last and history made - on Sunday afternoon Exeter Chiefs beat local rivals Bath for the first time in 36 years finally putting an end to a frustrating statistic. The Chiefs took the leap up into the premiership four years ago and haven't looked back since proving they belong amongst the top flight of English teams but one scalp had always eluded them. So many nail bitingly close encounters came and went including a twelve all draw at home last season and another close game away at the beginning of this season. Even though Bath have been on incredible form I knew this statistic had to change soon and I was determined not to miss it; so much so I changed my airline tickets to ensure I could attend this latest game.

It all seemed like painful déjà vu when less than thirty seconds after the whistle Bath had gone over for a try and at half time still had more points on the board. After another forty minutes of the closest and most exciting rugby I've seen this season Exeter Chiefs finally did it whilst also booking themselves a place in the LV cup final at home.

It made for a fantastic start to this trip and I managed to dash home to squeeze in a bit more rugby before heading to the airport. Another significant result saw England put things right against Wales and keep themselves in contention to win the Six Nations.

The only problem I have now is how to watch the finals of these respective tournaments from somewhere in the China Sea; a dilemma I shouldn't complain about but I'll explain more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment