Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Custard wellingtons

The theme of a running race per weekend has continued. I use the term ‘race’ loosely, especially with reference to my most recent event. As I mentioned last week the Park Run 5K is popular across the UK attracting people of all abilities and ambitions. Both my ability and ambition were dampened this week as I stood on the start line of the Moors Valley run, although it was nothing in comparison to my friend, aka “the hen”.

I can hear you shouting ‘why are you running on a hen do?!’ – a few of the girls were asking this but we managed a fifty percent turn out, all embracing the compulsory fancy dress. I have always enjoyed running without the need to spice it up in a costume so I was slightly concerned with the comfort factor and what to wear. As it turned out an extra layer of clothing over my usual running attire worked as a pleasant insulator on a chilly morning. I cannot say the same for then hen as her already hideous outfit was topped off with custard filled wellingtons – and somehow she ran the whole thing, beating many baffled participants.


Since returning from Africa it has been an unusually hectic few days. I had hardly finished unpacking before preparing my bag to head off to Brazil for work. After three weeks away there are a few things that you really appreciate. Personally the comfort of my own bed and the independence of driving my own car feature high on the list. Both were severely hampered. I cannot find my keys and I still have no recollection of where they could be or where else to look. Do not worry I am not sleeping on the street, an emergency spare set of house keys are now in use and a second car key has been sent. This just leaves me slightly uneasy as I head off again, this time with no spares.

No comments:

Post a Comment