Monday, August 22, 2016

Wildest expectations

Where do I start, these Olympic Games are superseding our wildest expectations as the medals continue to pour in. If you blink it you can easily miss another handful of new British Olympic Champions, that was certainly how it felt on the sensational super Sunday.

I know I am incredibly fortunate to be out in Rio De Janeiro for such a sporting spectacle. This is my forth trip to the iconic Brazilian beach city although completely incomparable to any of my former experiences. I planned ahead and booked my flights a few days earlier than I was due to start work, the difficulty then came in planning my schedule. This is a huge city with Olympic venues spread across all four corners, the logistics of getting to and from events is an endurance challenge in itself.

I realised I had to manage expectations the day I arrived. A journey from the airport followed by a trip to collect my accreditation soon accumulated to five hours spent sitting in a taxi. I quickly revaluated my ambitious plans of watching events back to back, sometimes less is more and being part of the Olympic experience is travelling with fellow fans, speaking with strangers and just generally soaking up this incredible atmosphere.

Ironically I am often having to rely on friends at home to update me with results along with the help of social media when I can find the internet. I would not for one minute swap this experience although I will say I miss our BBC coverage and the opportunity to sit in one place and watch TeamGB excel themselves on this world stage.


It is now time for me to up my game as I proudly step into my Rio 2016 uniform. After long days of rehearsals I am ready to welcome the crowd to the Modern Pentathlon event in my debut role as Olympic English ground announcer.

No comments:

Post a Comment