Saturday, May 11, 2013

And again! (TT column 29/04/13)


I was once told one must fall off at least eleven times before being classed as a rider. I think this was most probably by my mother when I'd fallen off my pony for the tenth time. Unfortunately once I reached that magic number I continued to rack up a few more just at a slower rate; most importantly I was officially a "rider" by then.
When I began the new sport of road cycling I was not aware of any such "rules", although I was warned cycling with cleats could lead to the odd gentle if not slightly embarrassing topple. So when I'd already separated from my bicycle before even being introduced to shoes with cleats the future didn't look so bright. I'd been reluctant to transfer out of the comfort of my trainers due to the aforementioned increased risk of falling combined with the inconvenience of having to walk like a duck when wearing the stiff unpractical cycling shoes. Yes I had a seemingly unavoidable "topple" on my first ride, having uncleated the left I made the school boy error of turning sharply to the right.
The warmer weather combined with the fact I'm still unable to swim (as a result of the initial mishap) has meant more time spent on my bike. My confidence was building and I had ventured out alone last Friday combining training with a visit to a friend's house for tea. The idea to save her heading out in her car backfired, she ended up driving me and my damaged bicycle back home. This time I can honestly say it was not my fault, it seems some cars do not give way to cyclists when on a roundabout. The consolation being I am now symmetrical with my new wounds being on the opposite side to previously.
I do seriously hope that I don't need another eight falls until I can class myself as a "cyclist".

No comments:

Post a Comment