Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cinderella (TT column 01/04/13)


It is only due to the fact that I watched a television drama just prior to going to sleep that my nightmares involved a cave in Carcassonne as opposed to the hills in West Devon. If I hear the words Broadwoodwidger or Combebow I get a shiver down my spine, some of you might know these country lanes and wonder why they evoke such emotions, if I had only ever driven them I would ask the same. I braved the early start on Easter Sunday; despite losing an hour of valuable sleep and the snowy conditions outside I happily freewheeled my way into Tavistock blissfully unaware of what a morning out with the Tavistock Wheelers might involve. I think it is fair to say I earned at least half of the chocolate I proceeded to eat later that day.

Before heading home for Easter I had a few diverse and action packed days in London. They ranged from watching McFly by candle light in aid of Earth hour, presenting prizes at the schools biathlon championships and attending the Sport Journalist Association awards evening. I was honoured to present a prize at the SJA awards to none other than the acclaimed Sunday Times journalist David Walsh for his exposure of Lance Armstrong in the doping saga - you never know he might have started out with a small weekly column too. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to pick the brains of these award winning presenters and journalists as I had a train to catch. I felt a little like Cinderella as I was stripping out of my gorgeous yet borrowed designer dress and running to catch the last train home, stupidly though I forgot to drop a slipper, I shall just have to keep looking for my prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment