Saturday, May 11, 2013

I get knocked down but I get up again (TT column 08/04/13)


I am conscious of this quickly becoming a cycling column but I can not ignore yesterday's ride as I am most certainly still suffering and in a way I haven't suffered before.
I headed out on another group ride, this time in Bath with a smaller slightly less experienced bunch of riders. After the midway coffee break we hit a relatively straight and flat road, I thought would be the ideal opportunity to test out the "drafting factor" that a more experienced rider had been explaining to me.
The front pack started to breakaway so this was my chance, I got in close and tested the effects of being in the slip stream. I can assure you it is true, suddenly you need half the amount of effort to keep up. The key is being within half a bike wheel away from the one in front, this I soon discovered requires a fair amount of concentration when travelling at a speed of 25mph. I was flying along and loving it until - only momentarily - I was on the back wheel of the bike in front; I was then sent sliding horizontally across the gravelly verge. This was an unusual moment when I actually appreciated the never ending winter, as a result of these Baltic temperatures I was wearing several layers of clothes which added considerable protection.
After years of riding horses and of course falling off them i have had one theory strongly ingrained in me - always get straight back on after a fall. This ethos came in handy when miles away from home, luckily with no time to stop and think about the discomfort I made my way back safely. I know my pride and wounds will undoubtedly heal, although I am most upset about the scars on my once sparkly beautiful new bicycle.
I will end my sympathy seeking immediately though as this is nothing compared to what jump jockeys face on a regular basis. After the Grand National I think this has been highlighted, those jockeys are incredibly tough both physically and mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment